Eat, Pray, Love

Book: Eat, Pray, Love
Author: Elizabeth Gilbert
Rating: 5/5


A Bead Counted in Gratitude

As a guy, my mind simply would've never noticed this book in order for me to pick it up. The title and presentation, with exception to the prayer beads, simply don't call out to the masculine spirit. It took one of my beautiful friends of the feminine persuasion to place this book in my hands.

As a hitchhiker thru many lands, my wanderlust delighted and splashed in the puddles of scenic descriptions and friendly faces that fill this book. Many memories resurfaced, particularly in India, and future plans were altered to take in a bit of the author's own experiences.

As a holyman, I love watching myself and others be dragged (kicking and screaming) by our divine guidance to a more healthy, holy self. From the very introduction, I could feel the presence of the divine that had already entered this woman, and so dug in for a good read that rarely let me down.

As a lover, who was once under a vow of celibacy, I could empathize with Elizabeth's pain in a place where passion and sex ruled, but know well the internal fortitude and strength this builds. The internal strife of this choice was one of my favorite aspects of her growth.

As an Austinite, the author's Austinite friend met in India--Richard from Texas (Austin, nonetheless)--assures me that the story I'm reading has been told strikingly close to the truth. His words, demeanor and form of hardened spirituality screams of Austin, Texas, which is my favorite port of call in all the world.

As a writer, had I only one sentence in which to sum up this book, I would state: "One woman's journey, out of breakdown back to wholeness, across Italy, India and Indonesia." Amazingly, this just happens to be a good part of what the title states, and it's obvious from the very start that her journey was more success than failure.

As a walking advertising campaign for everything I love, I have found that I can turn anyone onto this book simply by handing it to them with the words: "Pick a paragraph... any paragraph." I've yet to have anyone simply shrug off what they read at random.

To Elizabeth Gilbert: "My love and gratitude for every word. See you later alligator."


...rate my review here

[2010.07.24] - Update: Now that there is a feature film on the way, I wanted to add the trailer for those who prefer to watch instead of read:


with thanks to Hekate for my introduction

No comments: